Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Getting better everyday


You know it's bad when the cashier at the local grocery store is excited when I tell them that I am doing OK for the day. Today the cashier said "Coming from you, I know OK is a good thing". This is actually a really sweet story. I have been shopping at that Grocery Store for almost 20 years and many friends that I grew up with worked at this store. So this little store is a piece of my past and has survived the big bigger stores moving closer to the neighborhood. And yet I know when I walk into this store, there is a feeling of family history in this store. Years of shopping there with my grandfather, my father and now my nephew.

Yesterday morning I got a whole two hours with my nephew. He tired the both of us out but it was amazing. We spent time outside creating new games, learning new words and enjoying the cooler weather. Today I meet with a new doctor that is in charge of my rehabilitation. It is a long road ahead but I am finally able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I even have the desire to cook and get back into my studio.

I have been thinking a lot about what has happened to me this summer. I have started to call it "The summer that changed my life". I am finally able see this while situation as a life lesson that will change my whole life. This idea has become less daunting with every good day I have. My life will never be the same as it once was, but I can now finally put my health and my well being first. In fact, I am pretty much forced to put these things first. But I know that this situation is helping me to create the life I truly want to live. I have already witnessed changes in me that are self loving and protective towards myself.

And to top it off, for the first year ever, I have let my friends to celebrate with me, how wonderful I am. There was a party given for me last Saturday that was a huge love fest for my friends that had not seen me since my injury. Before the summer that changed my life I would not have allowed such an event. I would not have slowed down enough to allow someone else to take care of me. But now, I understand how loving this party was. Not just for myself, but it was a loving thing these people did for everyone that came to the party, and it was a loving thing that they did for themselves. Does this make sense? Sometimes my words and thoughts get all twisted in my mind and i have a hard time writing it down. But as I keep experiencing this new life, I will keep writing about it until it makes sense.

No comments: