Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Giving up something

Ever since this spring when I did my Raw month, I started to notice that when I was eating regular food, my stomach would hurt all the time. I thought it was just a sign I needed to return to RAW foods and juicing but I was having trouble doing it. Don't get me wrong... I love Raw foods and I love juice fasts.

I just came to realize I could not live entirely on them at this moment. My new job is wonderful but it is a lot of work and I can't focus so much on what I am or am not eating at the moment. But I was having serious stomach and body pains. My coworker kept talking about his daughter who can't eat gluten and how he is learning to live with that. I then begin to realize that on days when I ate wheat for lunch, I hurt the worst in the afternoon. Then I started to notice that on days when I ate wheat my stomach would bloat up a lot.

So I finally took the plunge and gave up Gluten and Wheat two weeks ago. I thought it was going to be hard but I feel so much now, I am actually enjoying it. I no longer have a bloated stomach. I no longer hurt or feel any kind of inflammation in my body during the afternoon hours. My digestive system is working like a charm and in the last two weeks I have shed over 10 pounds from just giving up wheat.

So I guess I am now gluten free. It's strange to think about how one thing could cause my body to go so wonky for so many years. I feel like I can almost pinpoint when this allergy might have come on. I don't have the typical symptoms that other people have when they get this allergy. But I do know that somehow wheat was causing a lot of really bad things to happen in my body.

No comments: