Sunday, July 20, 2008

Pow Wow

I love living by Discovery Park. At night we can hear the sea lions, the trains and a couple of weekends every summer there are Pow Wows that bring drum beating and singing to my window. It touches my heart every time I see the Daylight Center in Discovery Park, a building dedicated to the native Americas that used to live on this land and take care of it.
This building is also where my Grandfather's memorial service was. My grandfather grew up in Montana and spent most of his adult life in Washington DC as a Senator and Congressmen for Washington State. Native Americas were a top priority for him while he was in office many years ago. He was an honorary Blackfoot tribe member in Montana.

I have been thinking about him all morning. I am of course still bed ridden. The last time I had surgery was 15 years ago and my grandfather was still alive. I wish he was here now so I could ask him stories about Montana, Charlie Russell the painter that lived behind his house in Montana and what Washington state was like so many years ago.

But instead I will wait 30 rock, read some new books given to me by my good friend Kim and make cinnamon rolls.

No comments: