Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Sugar Queen

Last night I finished reading Sara Addison Allen's new book " The Sugar Queen". This book was lovely and a good summertime read. The only negative or not overly loving thing I would say about this book was that it was not magical enough for me. I love ancient herb lore, I love stories about wisdom pasted down by generations of wise women who helped cure the body, mind and spirit. Garden Spells, Sarah's first book catered to this need of mine. The book was filled with meals of intention, gardens full of mystery and secrets best kept not questioning.
However, the book was great and I highly recommend her as an author. She is someone I will keep as one of my favorite authors and I look forward to reading many more books by her.

Today I had lunch with my good friend Jennifer. It was great to be outside of my house and I can not remember the last time I saw Jennifer. I am on a new medication that has allowed a little more freedom in my life. I can walk and sleep more than I was last week. I am not healed and I know that all this medication is doing is covering up the severe amount of pain that I am in but it just feels nice to have a little bit of my life back. I have been unable to go out but once a week before this new medicine so I welcome the chance to go out a couple of times a week.

Jennifer and I will be making candles on Friday which marks the first time I will be back in my studio in almost a month. I miss making candles and getting into my studio. It has been hard to be away but I am lucky enough to have gotten ahead with my orders and I have found someone who can cover for me while I am waiting for surgery and healing.

No comments: