Monday, May 14, 2012

Getting to the root of the issue

Over the last few months I have not been feeling very well.  I kept getting sick and it would take me a long time to feel better.  I kept feeling like my body was completely inflamed and I just felt exhausted all the time.  I pushed harder to juice more and eat more raw foods hoping that would help.  I am so lucky in that my coworkers are so understanding because I have not been on top of my game these last few weeks.
It all came to a strange conclusion when last week the skin on my left hand started to get very dark looking.  At first I thought my hand was just dirty but it did not go away after a very long lavender bath .  So I finally went to the doctor.  He said pigment color changes are due to something internal and took 4 vials of blood to see what he could find.
I am happy to report that for the most part everything looks good.  My thyroid is healthy.  My sugar levels are good.  BUT I am seriously anemic.  Which might be why I am so weak and tired all the time.  I had no idea!  I take high potency vitamins everyday.  I eat so healthy and try to get nuts into my diet as much as possible.  But I simply may not be able to be the Raw food Vegan I want to be.  I was doing everything right and yet I am very anemic and it's starting to show up via my skin. 

So last night I went to our local Farmers market and bought some red meat for the week.  I stocked up on Dulse seaweed and Edamame which has iron in it.  I bought a bunch of spinach and kale and some major Iron pills.  After 1 day I am already feeling better.   I am still a little in shock that my body would react that way to my healthier lifestyle but I have come to accept that I may not be able to eat the way I want. 
So I am going to try for the 70% Raw diet and 30% other diet.  And for the next three months I am giving myself a time out for pushing so hard to be healthy.  I am going to just eat healthy but also eat what I need to eat.  This includes meat at most meals along with veggies.  I am going to try to eat a little more dairy than I had been.  I am going to just relax and recover.  I am glad I caught this early before it got any worse. 

And the weird skin color change on my hand that makes it look like my fingers have been self tanning?  It is slowly now starting to go away.

No comments: