Saturday, April 01, 2006

My first conference

So last week I helped to organize and set up a professional workshop. This was the first time I had volunteered for an organization on the professional level. I have to admit it- I loved it.

I was able to attend a workshop that was a little out of my price range, I got to spend quality with the people who presented the workshop as well as the people attending the workshop and I was also asked to join the board of the organization that put on the workshop.

This event was one of the most successful things I have ever done in my life. I felt great to be a part of this community and I am ready for more. It was also interesting because I now know I am growing up. There was nothing glamorous about this event. There were no superstars. Instead this was a room full of people who enjoyed what they did in life, who had a specialty and who wanted to learn more. And this aspect of it was what I enjoyed the most.

I guess maybe growing up in Seattle during the grunge area and then watching a good portion of my scenester friends become famous, my views tend to be a little skewed. For the last five years I have really worked on trying to figure out the difference between being happy and being cool. I am not sure both these things can happen at once. I have noticed that you can be cool without being happy but you can not be happy and cool without being happy first. Being happy, smart and interesting all leads one to being cool in my book. But by then most "cool" people will think you are boring. Which I have now realized, does not matter so much to me.

So needless to say, this event in Portland was one of the happiest and coolest things I have ever done! My views on what I want my life to be are changing. And I am becoming a smarter more talented employee while working towards my goal of working for myself.

Plus, isn't it always fun to make new friends?

4 comments:

Vera said...

Thanks for sharing that. I have been thinking about the cool/happy conundrum a lot too. For instance: My boyfriend and I went away for the weekend last weekend. In general I think it's much *cooler* to go away for the weekend with a group of friends. But I am much *happier* when it's just me and my boyfriend. So if I'm happier with just my boyfriend, why do I even still think it's cooler to go with a bunch of people if that's not even what I really want to do? I have decided to stop thinking that. :)

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

That's a key observation on the convergence of "cool" and "happy." For a short time in my early 20s I was both, so I thought. Now I'm mostly happy, and only somewhat cool. Depending on the situation. :)

On another note, I'm in meeting and event planning too. There is something singularly gratifying about seeing an event come to life after all those months of planning, isnt' there? Yay you for being able to experience it!

Emily said...

Exoterica,
I would love to see some of you photo's. Do you have a link?

Also,
Thanks for commenting on my blog. It was cool to see a new person.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.