Friday, June 27, 2008

Summer Reading


Every summer I manage to find a gem of a book that takes me through the summer with a warm and enchanted heart. Last summer it was Good Things by Mia King. This year I found an unbelievable wonderful little good that I read in one day. Nancy Pearl our wonderful superstar Liberian in Seattle turned me onto this book and whenever I see her next I will rush up to thank her. The book is called Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. It is a wonderful sister story much like Alice Hoffmans' Practical Magic book which is a good thing in my view. Both stories combine old herbal lore with Wise Women advice and strength. Garden Spells took place in North Carolina which moved me because that is where my family has our reunion with all 100 members of the family. I feel close to the Earth in North Carolina and love to get lost on the back roads. For a while now I have been dreaming of North Carolina and moving there. It is also home to one of my favorite candle making supply stores. So maybe North Carolina is in my future?

The author of Garden Spells has a new novel that just came out and I can not wait to read it. Garden Spells was about a caterer, the new novel she wrote is about a woman that makes chocolate, my book would be about a candle maker that helps people bring magic into their lives via my candles. I feel a close connection to these stories. Sometimes there are people in this world that have gifts which are accessed through their talents in life. I do not know how better to explain it than with this thought.... Read these books!

We are about to have a heat wave in Seattle and so I will be taking a few days off from making candles. Tomorrow I have a busy social day and Sunday I will clean my studio, room and car.
I go to the surgeon's on Monday and will find out when I will go in for surgery. Hopefully sooner than later. I want my energy back! Chronic pain is hard to live with but I am so lucky to have wonderful friends and family that have helped me prepare for the surgery and all the things I need to get done before I go into the hospital.

Lastly, I have been able to see my wonderful nephew this week a couple of times and I am always in awe of how much he has grown up. He loves to talk and all the kids that live on his block now come over and play with him. He is a truly magical being and life is just not as fun without him.

No comments: