Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Caravaggio

When I was in high school I became obsessed with the Italian painter, Caravaggio. His use of light and dark colors, images and themes made me weak in the knees. I studied his work, talked to as many professional artists as I could about him and spent many an afternoon day dreaming about his life.

Finally when I was in college I had the opportunity to travel to Rome. The whole week we were there I wanted to see as many Caravaggio's as I could. Forget the Vatican. Take me to the darker side of Religion. I wanted to see this man's work up close. I spent hours in front of his work seeing new things appear out of no where after looking at his paintings for over an hour. He work is truly amazing!

Last night it was hot in Seattle. I had a lovely conversation for over an hour on the phone with a good friend and I was feeling restless. I could not sleep. Talking to this friend makes me giddy and full of energy. I wandered down stairs to see what my father was doing and noticed that Caravaggio was on TV. This is when I discovered the PBS Show, Simon Schama's Power of Art. What a wonderful treasure this TV show. He adds new depth to Caravaggio's work and life. I was transported back to high school, sitting in the living room, watching TV with my father and talking about art. It was a great feeling. I realized what an amazing family I have. My father and grandfather also encouraged me to be interested in art, culture, history and politics. I have a rich library of experiences and memories thanks to these two men.

I am so excited to see the rest of the Series.
If you get a chance, please watch this show. It is a real treat for any art lover or history buff.

No comments: